Through 2022, the Association of Women in the Arts (AWITA) are working in partnership with JW Anderson to present a rolling programme of exhibitions and interventions of female artists curated by AWITA members in the JW Anderson modular gallery space in their flagship Soho store.
The third exhibition in this series, HYPERAROUSAL presents new work by Jerwood Solo Presentations 2018 artist Susie Green, curated by our Head of Visual Arts Harriet Cooper. Bringing together new large-scale paintings alongside intimate watercolours and collages, the exhibition considers dress, sexuality and fetish as a place to find joy and healing in the face of fear, anxiety and unrest. The exhibition is open from 21 – 28 July 2022.
The selection panel of Jonathan Anderson; Caroline Douglas, Director of the Contemporary Art Society; Valeria Napoleone, art patron and collector; Bethan Laura Wood, multi-disciplinary artist; and Péjú Oshin, curator of Tate’s Young People’s Programme, chose ideas that supports the historic link between art and fashion. They looked for work that responded both to the vernacular architecture and spirit of Soho as well as its history of counterculture, queer love, nightlife, and the collision of high and low culture.
The installations selected for the programme are:
- Maya Sanbar by Virginia Damtsa, ViriginaVisualArts
- Hannah Quinlan and Rosie Hastings & Shadi Al-Atallah by Beth Greenacre and Madeleine Martin, Independent Advisors and Curators
- Susie Green by Harriet Cooper, Jerwood Arts
- Holly Stevenson by Sid Motion
- Sola Olulode by Alayo Akinkugbe, Curator and Historian
- Grace Ndiritu by Mary Cork and Kate Phillimore, ZELDA
- Liz Calvi by Irina Bourmistrova, SEAGER Gallery
Find out more
Learn more about HYPERAROUSAL, here.
Find out more about Susie Green’s work, here.
Read about the JW Anderson X AWITA partnership, here.
Read about Jerwood Solo Presentations 2018, here.