We are committed to
- placing artists at the heart of everything we do
- building a more resilient sector
- fair pay and conditions
- inclusivity and access
- being a learning organisation
- accountability – to our beneficiaries and our board
- environmental sustainability
- responsible investment
- openness and transparency
- inviting feedback.
We are committed to:
- listening to the needs of those we support
- enabling artists to create adventurous and ambitious work
- supporting artists from all backgrounds based anywhere in the UK
- empowering artists to experiment and take risks free from commercial pressures
- supporting artists to develop their practice and realise new ideas
- embracing difference and acknowledging that in doing so we need to act differently ourselves.
We are committed to
- artistic freedom of expression
- sharing our vision and demonstrating the impact of our work
- being a bold change-maker and leading by example
- advocating and using our influence strategically
- collaborating with specialist partners and other funders who share our aims.
From Values to Action
As an independent funder we recognise we play a particular role in the arts and cultural ecology. We recognise the soft power our role gives us and are committed to using our influence responsibly towards positive change across the sector. Above all, we want to be kind. Funding is scarce at the best of times, so we want our ‘no’ to be the kindest, most useful, silver-lining filled ‘no’ it can be.
Every day, we translate and adapt our values into our working practices in response to the needs of artists and arts organisations. We make sure we stay educated and up to date on current issues, and have policies in place to guide our approach – from Artist’s Care to Safeguarding.
Three main Action Plans drive our progress and embed our values into our everyday work:
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Fair Pay and Conditions
- Environmental Sustainability
Making it easier, more equitable and a more positive experience overall for people to find out about what we do, apply for our opportunities and collaborate with us is at the heart of all our Action Plans. To support us in being more accountable, we are also a member of the Open and Trusting campaign run by the Institute for Voluntary Action Research (IVAR) and London Funders. Along with more than 50 other UK foundations and charities, we have signed up to the campaign’s eight commitments, which align strongly with our values and set out practical ways for us to be more open and accessible.
The Action Plans below provide a snapshot of our work in this area and are updated annually. They were last updated in March 2022.
We are a learning organisation and are committed to educating ourselves and keeping our minds open. If you have feedback for us, we’re listening at [email protected]