The residency includes
- £3,000 bursary per artist
- £3,000 project budget per artist to develop a new work
- Dedicated studio space for 18-months, shared by the three selected artists
- A mentor from the wider Somerset House Studios artist community
- £750 in-kind budget to experiment with in-house facilities such as our recording studio (unfacilitated), rehearsal studio, meeting rooms and project spaces
- Access to Makerversity workshops at significantly reduced artist rates
- Support from the Studios team to set goals and objectives for your practice
- Access to wider development and social programmes
- Final presentation of works in the Somerset House programme
- Support for reasonable adjustments to assist with access requirements
The opportunity is open to early-career visual artists within the first five years of their practice, with a focus on artists who are pushing bold ideas, engaging with urgent issues and pioneering new technologies – with applications particularly welcome from those making socially engaged, and inclusive work, activists and critical thinkers; the experimental; those interested in cross-disciplinary working and / or collaboration.
Artists must be UK based, over 18 and demonstrate that they meet the criteria of this opportunity. Artists should not be in formal education for the duration of the support (including part-time and post-graduate education). aArtists who have not progressed through formal art training routes are also encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be able to:
- share a minimum of three examples of public presentation of their work
- outline an idea / work they would like to develop
- clearly demonstrate how their practice would benefit from the opportunity
The deadline for applications is the 25 October 2023. Click here for further details and how to apply.